This Website is the culmination of the dedication of a group of people in protest of the abandonment of the area known as the Historic Bullnose we felt so strongly about this that a Face Book page was formed called Hull Fishermans History and it has been a huge success with over 3,000 members in a very short time. From this we decided to set up our own group that was formed by Jerry Thompson, Laurie Dixon, and Ray Coles hence The Hull Bullnose Heritage Group and then we decided to go one further and set up our own Web Site called The Hull Bullnose Heritage Group and we hope that people get as much satisfaction from this site as our Face Book Page.
St. Andrew’s Dock was originally designed for the coal trade but by the time it opened in 1883 it was earmarked solely for the use of the fishing industry which, with the development of steam powered trawlers and of the railway network, was undergoing a period of rapid expansion. The dock extension was opened in 1897. By the 1930s road transport was challenging rail and the last fish train ran in 1965. The last boom period in the industry was in the early 1970s, but by this time the fish market buildings on the north side of the dock were in need of repair. With the expansion of the freezer trawler fleet it was decided to move the fish docks to new buildings at Albert Dock in 1975 and St. Andrew’s Dock was closed. This move unfortunately coincided with the declaration by Iceland of a 200 mile limit, the outbreak of the last Cod War, and a decline in the industry from which it has never recovered. During the 1980s several factors led to changes in the use of land in the St. Andrews Dock and Dock extension areas, such as containerisation and the concentration of port activities in King George and Queen Elizabeth Docks to the east, the construction of Clive Sullivan Way as the major road into the city from the west and the sudden prominence that this gave to the western docks area, and the trend with increased car ownership towards out of town shopping and leisure uses previously concentrated in the City Centre. Filling of the dock itself began in the late 1980s. The small dock-related industries located mainly on the south side of the dock either followed the fishing industry to Albert Dock or closed altogether, although a small nucleus of industries remained for some time at the eastern end of the dock, associated mainly with the ship-repair activities still taking place in William Wright Dock. As buildings become vacant they were quickly vandalised, tendering to encourage the remaining firms to move out. As outlined above, the history of St. Andrew’s Dock is very closely associated with the history of the deep-sea trawling industry, and as the dock itself began to disappear through the development of the site for retail and leisure uses, many Hull people felt that a part of their history was also disappearing, a history with which many of them had close family ties. A strong campaign was therefore launched to save something of the dock and its surroundings, both to explain to future generations what the industry was about and to preserve the memory of the many people who had sacrificed their lives to it. In December 1990 the area in the vicinity of the lockpit was designated a Conservation Area. This was considered to be the part of the dock area which had retained the strongest links with the previous uses and where there was the best opportunity to preserve what remained of the buildings and features of interest.